Hi! I'm Deb. This is what I look like (yup, you'll see that smile a lot). This is what I think like - or at least some highlights. I believe in:
- Challenging the status quo;
- Getting to innovation by asking Why?, Why not? and looking at And/Both, not Either/Or;
- Making a difference;
- Having fun.
For a 25+ years, I've helped companies create and implement innovation-based strategies. I work with start-ups and upstarts ~ small, medium and big global companies in service, manufacturing and high-tech sectors.
Here are a few things I've been privileged to work on (besides my great clients!)
Business & Boards
- Board member of the Business Innovation Factory and storyteller at BIF-9;
- Partner at Glengary LLC, an early-stage Venture Capital firm;
- Board Member of former students' startups ~ Student Language Exchange, CCChampions;
- Advisory Board Member, Wisr.
Publications & Writings
- Harvard Business Review, Switch and Shift, Innovation Excellence blogger;
- My own blog, which earned me recognition as one of the top 40 bloggers and tweeters on innovation;
- The Leader’s Guide to Radical Management by Steve Denning (contributor);
- Innovating Women: The Changing Face of Technology by Vivek Wadhwa and Farai Chideya;
- Trust Inc. Series by Barbara Kimmell (contributor) and Top Thought Leader (2015, 2016);
- Co-creator of Business Model Generation and edited Value Proposition Design by Alex Osterwalder.
Mentoring & Teaching
- Brown University:
- Mentor for Brown University's Entrepreneurship Program & Venture Fellowship, Brown’s Women's Launch Pad Program, Social Innovation Fellowship, Brown Engineering Alumni Mentoring, and Brown students’ startups;
- Teach Business Model and Value Proposition Design and lead Independent Studies ;
- Visiting Scholar in Brown’s joint E-MBA with IE in Spain teaching the application of the Classic Virtues to Innovation;
- Brown’s School of Engineering Advisory Council;
- Advisory Board of RISD’s DESINE-Lab.
- Oberlin College and LaunchU:
- Teach Business Model and Value Proposition Design
- University of Pittsburgh’s Katz School of Business, CWRU’s Weatherhead School of Management and Vanderbilt University.
What Did I Do Before All This?
Then I trotted off to AT&T Bell Labs, where I designed and patented an integrated multimedia-messaging platform recognized as one of AT&T/Lucent’s top revenue generating patents. I also was instrumental in spearheading AT&T WorldNet® Services, AT&T's entry into the internet and e-commerce markets.
Nowadays, I live in Oberlin, Ohio with my husband, John, a Physics professor at Oberlin College and our youngest kid. Our oldest plays Soccer and studies Engineering at the University of Chicago.
Mentally (and for most of the summer), I spend every day at my home in Pemaquid, Maine, keeping track of the tides.
Want know even more? Check out...
Click Here for Complete CV & Publications
Click Here for Visual CV